Here at Renaissance Conservatories, we are experts at installing a range of home extensions in all shapes, sizes, and styles. With our vast range of windows, doors, and roof options, we can design a conservatory or orangery that will perfectly complement your homes’ charm. However, a common question we get asked about orangeries is; ‘do I need planning permission for an orangery?’
Well…what is known as “permitted development rights” allows you to extend your home in various ways without needing to apply for planning permission. As long as these certain limitations and conditions are met, you will not need planning permission.
What is allowed under permitted development rights?
When extending your home with an orangery without planning permission, the following set of guidelines needs to be followed:
- The area covered by the orangery must not larger than half the total area of the original property. If you have additional outer buildings that were not part of the original house, then you will need to take this into consideration.
- The orangery cannot be higher than the tallest part of the existing house. The maximum height is 4m.
- The eaves should not be higher than the eaves of the existing house. The maximum height of the eaves is 2.5m.
- Any part of the orangery cannot extend beyond any wall facing a road.
- It can be used for domestic purposes only
However, if you live in a conservation area or new build development it is likely you will need additional consent to go ahead with any kind of home extension. New builds may need approval from their developers and listed homes will need consent from their local council.
Stunning orangeries for homes in South Devon
With a Mediterranean influence, orangeries combine the gap between a conservatory and a permanent extension. They are an ideal way to add additional living space and can be used as whatever you please, including a home office, home gym, and a dining area. With a combination of robust glazing, solid panels, and brick, you can still enjoy the view of your garden from a comfortable and cosy room that feels like a true part of your Devonshire home.
For more information contact us today and one of our glazing experts will be in touch to discuss your home improvement project!